Thursday, August 23, 2012

Catechists Needed: is God calling you?

Each year, Fr. Pat makes a plea for catechists during August and September. And each year through the generosity of parishioners young and old, God provides catechists who hear and answer the call to hand on our Catholic faith to children who seek to know God and the Good News of Jesus Christ.

Christ is our teacher
During the plea, I stand in the narthex ready to talk to anyone interested in learning more about being a catechist. Sometimes parishioners approach me after Mass and say, “I don’t know why I’m saying yes, but I feel like this is the year I need to come forward.” Their subtle hesitation is found in many of us who hesitate from further involvement with children and youth: “I don’t know what to say;” “I’m too young/old;” “You wouldn’t believe my schedule;” “I’m afraid.” These concerns are valid and we can only decide the right time to say yes to God through honest, prayerful discernment with ourselves and our families.
But over 2500 years ago, the prophet Jeremiah had a similar response to God’s call: “I do not know how to speak. I am too young!” (Jer 1:6). Reading into Jeremiah’s deeper hesitancy, God answers: “To whomever I send you, you shall go; whatever I command you, you shall speak. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you to deliver you.” (Jer 1:7f). These powerful words are meant not merely to pacify Jeremiah into saying yes to God, but to reassure Jeremiah of God’s presence and guidance on what would be a rocky road ahead – imminent death at speaking God’s word to powerful people.
Although catechists do not face the same circumstances, their work can be prophetic to a generation in need of people to energize and criticize; to inspire and teach; to lead them to encounter Christ, the ultimate aim of all catechists.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?